Loading...
Itsasmuseum
 

 
How to get here ? Ramon de la Sota Kaia, 1, Abando, 48013, Bilbo Bizkaia. Métro : San Mames, exit Sabino Arana. Tramway: Euskalduna stop. Bus : Sagrado Corazon stop.
 
Itsasmuseum's history : The Bilbao Itsasmuseum was inaugurated on November 20, 2003. It was established with the aim of preserving the rich maritime history of Bilbao, particularly focusing on the role of the Bilbao River and the shipbuilding industry in the region.

The museum is located at the site of the old Euskalduna shipyard, which was once one of the most important shipyards in Spain. This site was chosen to maintain a direct connection to Bilbao's industrial and maritime past. The museum is situated along the banks of the Nervión River, near the Euskalduna Palace and the Guggenheim Museum, forming part of Bilbao’s cultural and historical axis.
The museum complex includes several historic structures from the old shipyard, such as the dry docks and cranes, which have been preserved and integrated into the museum. The main building features modern architectural elements while respecting the industrial heritage of the site.
The Bilbao Itsasmuseum plays a crucial role in preserving and interpreting the maritime heritage of Bilbao and the Basque Country. It serves as a reminder of the city's industrial past and its evolution into a modern cultural center. The museum not only celebrates the history of maritime trade and industry but also educates the public about the ongoing importance of maritime activities to the region's economy and identity.

 

Fun facts : The Carola or Karola is painted in red color full of magnetism, formerly painted gray, is a stork crane weighing 30 tons, with a height of 60 meters capable of lifting 60 tons, a mobile-type port crane that was used in the construction of boats for the Euskalduna shipyards. The crane was designed by Arturo Llorente Bodegas for Talleres Erandio S.A. and was built between 1954 and 1957, being active until 1984. It was the most powerful lifting machine manufactured in the state, the first to handle prefabrication and assembly work of blocks in steps that were installed in Bilbao.

 

Fine arts Museum


 
How to get there ? Museo Plaza, 2, Abando, 48009 Bilbo, Bizkaia. Metro : Moyua Station. Tramway : Abandoibarra and Guggenheim stop. Bus : Stop at Museo Plaza, Alameda Rekalde, Gran Via or Plaza Moyua.
 
History : The Bilbao Fine Arts Museum, known as the Museo de Bellas Artes de Bilbao, is one of the most important art museums in Spain, housing an extensive collection of works from various periods and styles. It is a cultural landmark in Bilbao, renowned for its diverse and high-quality art collections. The Bilbao Fine Arts Museum was established in 1908 through the merger of two earlier institutions: the Museo de Bellas Artes, founded in 1908, and the Museo de Arte Moderno, founded in 1924. The museum's creation was driven by a desire to provide Bilbao with a major cultural institution that would reflect the city's growing importance and cultural ambitions.
The museum is located in the Doña Casilda Iturrizar Park, an urban park in the heart of Bilbao. The current building was opened in 1945 and has undergone several expansions and renovations to accommodate the growing collection and to modernize its facilities. Notably, a significant extension was completed in 2001, designed by architects Luis María Uriarte and Luis Antonio González, which enhanced the museum's exhibition space and infrastructure.
The Bilbao Fine Arts Museum stands as a testament to Bilbao’s rich cultural heritage and its ongoing commitment to the arts. With its vast and diverse collections, the museum provides a comprehensive overview of Western art history, while its focus on Basque art highlights the unique cultural contributions of the region. Through its exhibitions, educational programs, and cultural activities, the Bilbao Fine Arts Museum continues to inspire and educate visitors from around the world.

Facts : The museum’s permanent exhibitions provide a chronological and thematic journey through its extensive collections, offering visitors an in-depth look at the evolution of art from the Middle Ages to the present day.
The Bilbao Fine Arts Museum also regularly hosts temporary exhibitions, often featuring works on loan from other major museums and private collections. These exhibitions cover a wide range of themes and periods, providing fresh perspectives and insights into different aspects of art history.

Theaters


 

Campos Eliseos Theater
 
How to get there ? C. de Bertendona, 3 bis, Abando, 48008 Bilbo, Bizakaia. Metro : Moyua or Abando (L1 or L2). Bus : Elcano 16, Abando, Moyua Plaza.
 

The Campos Eliseos Antzokia Theater, popularly known as El Campos and La Bombonera de Bertendona, is a theater located on Bertendona Street in Bilbao. Inaugurated in 1902, it is one of the most important theaters in the Biscayan capital and the most technically advanced in Spain. Its construction dates from the beginning of the 20th century, between 1901 and 1902, in the middle of the expansion of Bilbao based on the project of the local architect Alfredo Acebal. The building stands out for its richly decorated façade, designed by the French-Basque Jean Batiste Darroquy. The theater is catalogued as an Asset of Cultural Interest in the category of Monument. In April 1978 a bomb placed by ETA military in the stalls caused great damage to the theater. The architects Rufino and Pedro Basáñez carried out the repair works for the conservation and restoration of the building, which was reopened in August 1980. For some time, in the 1990s, it was the headquarters of the Bilbao Symphony Orchestra. In 1991 it was acquired by the Bilbao City Council and in 1994 the City Council commissioned Jesús Aldama to carry out structural consolidation work on the building to solve two serious problems: rainwater seepage through the walls and the stability of the structure. The façade was restored in 1997 and the interior was left pending, due to budgetary problems. In 2002, the building was again restored.


Arriaga Theater
 
How to get there ? Arriaga Plaza, 1, Ibaiondo, 48005 Bilbo, Bizakaia. Metro : Casco Viejo. Bus: Arriaga stop. Tramway : Arriaga stop.
 

The Arriaga Theatre is a very beautiful Baroque style building. Inspired by the Paris Opera, it was the work of the municipal architect Joaquín Rucoba and was opened in 1890. In 1902 it was named in honor of the Bilbao musician Juan Crisóstomo Arriaga, known as the Spanish Mozart because of his talent (at 13 he composed his first opera and shortly before the age of 20 he died of tuberculosis). Today, the Arriaga continuously hosts the city’s programmes of music and theater. Like other buildings in the Old Quarter of Bilbao, it was badly damaged in the floods of 1983.



Euskalduna conference center

How to get there ? Abandoibarra Etorb., 4, Abando, 48011 Bilbo, Bizkaia. Metro : San Mames. Bus: Euskalduna Kalea 10

 
The building was designed by architects Federico Soriano and Dolores Palacios to resemble a ship under construction, because it stands on the site formerly occupied by the Euskalduna shipyard. It won the Enric Miralles award for architecture at the 6th Spanish Architecture Biennial in 2001. It hosts a wide range of economic, business, academic, political, institutional, social and cultural events. It is the home of the city’s opera season, organised by ABAO (Friends of the Opera of Bilbao), one of the most highly renowned in Spain and indeed Europe. It is also the home base of the Bilbao Symphony Orchestra (BOS), which was founded in 1920 and has been performing since 1922. The building contains a range of venues for meetings and entertainment purposes (an auditorium, congress halls, meeting rooms, offices, foyers and a splendid exhibition hall) along with service areas featuring storage space, cloakrooms, dressing rooms, rehearsal rooms, etc.
 
Bullring of Vista Alegre
 

 
How to get here ? 1 Martin Aguero Street, Next to Zbalburu Square
 

Bullring's History : It is a first class bullring, one of the most important in Spain, where the greatest bullfighters of all times have fought. The first bullring was inaugurated on August 13, 1882, under the direction of the architect Sabino Goikoetxea Etxebarria, with a seating capacity of 12,394. In its 83 years of life, a total of 1817 celebrations were held until the early morning of September 4 to 5, 1961 a fire destroyed it. The current Vista Alegre bullring was inaugurated on June 19, 1962. The architect who designed it was Luis de Gana y Hoyos, author also of the Nueva Andalucía bullring, with the collaboration of the City Council of Bilbao, the Provincial Council of Biscay and the Official Chamber of Commerce, Industry and Navigation of Bilbao. It currently has a capacity of 14,781 spectators.
 

Facts : In November 2019, the company BMF Toros, tenant of the bullring, presented BIVA Bilbao: a novel plan for the restoration and remodeling of the Vista Alegre bullring. The works of reform and remodeling of the Vista Alegre Bullring began in December 2019.